Current:Home > MarketsWill Sage Astor-Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund -Prime Capital Blueprint
Will Sage Astor-Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-07 06:25:32
NEW YORK (AP) — Meta,Will Sage Astor the parent company of Facebook and Instagram, said it has donated $1 million to President-elect Donald Trump’s inauguration fund.
The donation comes just weeks after Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg met with Trumpprivately at Mar-a-Lago. A Meta spokesperson confirmed the offering Thursday. The news was first reported by The Wall Street Journal.
Stephen Miller, who has been appointed deputy chief of staff for Trump’s second term, has said that Zuckerberg, like other business leaders, wants to support Trump’s economic plans. The tech CEO has been seeking to change his company’s perception on the right following a rocky relationship with Trump.
Trump was kicked off Facebook following the Jan. 6, 2021 attack on the U.S. Capitol. The company restored his account in early 2023.
During the 2024 campaign, Zuckerberg did not endorse a candidate for president but has voiced a more positive stance toward Trump. Earlier this year, he praised Trump’s response to his first assassination attempt.
Still, Trump had continued to attack Zuckerberg publicly during the campaign. In July, he posted a message on his own social network Truth Social threatening to send election fraudsters to prison in part by citing a nickname he used for the Meta CEO. “ZUCKERBUCKS, be careful!” Trump wrote.
Corporations have traditionally made up a large share of donors to presidential inaugurals, with an exception in 2009, when then-President-elect Barack Obama refused to accept corporate donations. He reversed course for his second inaugural in 2013.
Facebook did not donate to either Biden’s 2021 inaugural or Trump’s 2017 inaugural.
Google donated $285,000 each to Trump first inaugural and Biden’s inaugural, according to Federal Election Commission records. Inaugural committees are required to disclose the source of their fundraising, but not how they spend the money. Microsoft gave $1 million to Obama’s second inaugural, but only $500,000 to Trump in 2017 and Biden in 2021.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (7338)
Related
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Israel strikes Gaza after truce expires, in clear sign that war has resumed in full force
- Eddie Murphy wants ‘Candy Cane Lane’ to put you in the Christmas spirit for years to come
- Blinken urges Israel to comply with international law in war against Hamas as truce is extended
- Sam Taylor
- Oklahoma executes man in double murders despite parole board recommendation for clemency
- Connor Stalions’ drive unlocked his Michigan coaching dream — and a sign-stealing scandal
- Across America, how high mortgage rates keep buying a house out of reach
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Members of global chemical weapons watchdog vote to keep Syria from getting poison gas materials
Ranking
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Underwater video shows Navy spy plane's tires resting on coral after crashing into Hawaii bay
- The Excerpt podcast: Undetected day drinking at one of America's top military bases
- Rite Aid closing more locations: 31 additional stores to be shuttered.
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Ferry operators around the country to receive $200M in federal grants to modernize fleets
- Government watchdog launches probe into new FBI headquarters site selection
- The Excerpt podcast: Food addiction is real. Here's how to spot it and how to fight it.
Recommendation
Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
Candy company Mars uses cocoa harvested by kids as young as 5 in Ghana: CBS News investigation
Pressure builds to eliminate fossil fuel use as oil executive, under fire, takes over climate talks
Former Blackhawks player Corey Perry apologizes for 'inappropriate and wrong' behavior
Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
Detainees in El Salvador’s gang crackdown cite abuse during months in jail
Pakistan police arrest 4 men in the death of a woman after a photo with her boyfriend went viral
Eddie Murphy wants ‘Candy Cane Lane’ to put you in the Christmas spirit for years to come